« Big Things in Small Packages | Main | If I were a butterfly… »
My ISRU - a Commercial

by Talal Sarwani

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullaah

InnerLight Productions presents

My ISRU

right-click above, save as

What's your ISRU (or msa/organization) like?

Asef said

Ya Muslimeen wa Muslimaat

*** J U M M A H --- M U B A R I K ***

Are there any Islamic seminars or conferences happening in East Coast during December, preferbly between Dec 16th - Dec 30th?

I am going to head east this winter break and spend the next 2 weeks on road...so was wondering If there is any worthwhile Learning opportunity on the way, Insha'Allah.

on December 2, 2005 10:32 AM
Gigi said

what is my msa like?

to summarize, it's the type of msa where non hijabi sisters are ones organizin a scarves for solidarity event

on December 2, 2005 10:42 AM
Bint Saeed said

MashaAllah!! Makes me wonder why we didnt do this in the past.

SubhanAllah brothers and sisters, I always knew ISRU was a talent bunch and Br. Talal and his crew always seem to be raising the bar.

I say to those who come after these creative minds, "You have much to learn from and live up to. Remember that it comes from our hearts (the ISRU Alumni) which is our request to take ISRU to heights it could never have imagined."

Jumu'ah Mabarak!

Wasalam Walaykum

on December 2, 2005 11:13 AM
Donald Duck said

MashAllah,
Very touching indeed. You guys are right, we'll miss Talaal and Asher alot at ISRU. I can't see how they can be replaced.

InshAllah, the youth of ISRU will carry on with the good work. May we all do good for the sake of Allah Alone, and May Allah Talah grant us safety from shrik till our last breaths. Ameen

on December 2, 2005 12:26 PM
Tanweer said

As-salamu 'Alaikum,

Subhanallah, good ol days- I still miss ISRU, time seems to take everything away - we only have memories left...

UNITY, BROTHERHOOD, way to go!!

on December 2, 2005 12:54 PM
asef said

I just wanted to add that leaving college and transitioning to Corporate America is a great deal for a newly graduated student...but now after 8 years in the work force...I miss every little bit of my time in college...the MSA meetings and the exam crunch...Subhan'Allah in those years I found the most reliable of friends that a man can ever have...Alhamdulillah...

...and I wish (sometimes) that I was involved in the MSA of some college by being part of the student body (in some capacity), regardless of what I have achieved as a professional at my work.

I believe to be around students is a blessings itself...May Allah bless you all (the newest addition as well the veteran students of ISRU)....Ameen

Ma'Asalaama
asif

on December 2, 2005 3:49 PM

very nice commercial. We do miss the sheltered enviroments we grow up in. The MSAs, the storehouses of our motivation to be good muslim. The good peer pressure group. And when we are thrown into a cold, merciless world, we're ready for whats out there, either good or bad. And we cherish the memories and meet people along the way that will remind us of that utopia MSA.
I know I made the most long lasting muslim friendships ever while in college.

on December 3, 2005 11:59 AM
sisterinIslam said

Asalaamu Alaikum,

Masha Allah! ISRU could not have been summed up in any other BettEr way. Seriously, Alhumdulillah for such a wonderful organization. I don't think we can thank Allah (SWT) enough for giving us this great organization with such amazing people, Masha Allah, to help us learn and grow together as Muslimeen.May Allah (SWT) reward all those that have made helped make ISRU what it is, bi'idnillah, and may Allah (SWT) help us ( as I consider myself one of the newer members of ISRU) to carry on what has Alhumdulillah flourished thus far and help us take it even further. Ameen.

JazkhAllah khair brothers for a witty/ touching commercial ... May Allah (SWT) reward you for your work and passion for ISRU and may He instill the same kind of passion in us for ISRU and more importantly Islam, fi Sabeelillah.

haha... my short comment was longer than I expected... oops.

Wasalaamu Alaikum

on December 4, 2005 12:19 AM
gumbo said

mashaAllah the nasheed at the end was really nice, is there a link to where i can download it?

on December 4, 2005 6:31 PM
Ali bin Masood Farooki said

Asalaamu Alaikum,

Wallahi Talal and Asher and the whole GI-57 extended crew, I love you guys for the sake of Allah. This brought back great memories. Especially Asher walking through the student center and to 116. And the handshake man. I don't get that here but I miss it. Definitely, you don't realize what you have till its gone. But alhamdullilah Allah favored us over much of mankind by allowing us to come together on that one day and for allowing us to look forward to that day and making (that night)- the night of Jumuah the most beloved of times to us, because we would meet our brothers and remember our reason for being put on the earth.

Wallahi, many of you after you leave, will realize that the time in ISRU was the happiest time of your life and that it changed your life around.

And most of all you will remember the extraordinary people you met along the way whom you had prolonged discussions with, the people who taught you something, whom you drove with one hour to go to Taraweeh with, whom you took classes at the masjid with, before it was "the fad" to do that, the ones whom you competed with to do good deeds. A big salute to many of the older brothers who held it down and were granted faith before us. We ask Allah to rectify their affairs, to grant them Hidaya, and to make them blessed wherever they are. Big salutes to Br. Ronald Hassan, Br. Walead Mosad, Mostafa Khalifa, Umer Dasti, Amir Ghani, Kashan, Tanweer (may Allah grant his father Jannah), Asher and anyone else who accepted the burden of leadership while trying to get a degree and fulfilled the duty with utmost sincerity and dedication. May Allah reward you for your striving and accept your struggles, your sleepless nights, the graying of your hair, the balding of your head, your weeping, and all the abuses that you endured from the people while the burden was on your shoulders.

We say of our umaraa (ameers) what Imaam Ahmad said about the scholars:

"The praise is for Allaah, the One who keeps a group of scholars available during the times when there is no messenger, scholars who bring those who have strayed back to the Guidance, curing their blindness and bringing them back to life using Allaah's Book. For how many have they brought back to life from those killed by Iblees? And how many strayed and then were guided by the scholars?

What great effects they have on the people! And how filthy are the effects of the people on them! They expel from the Religion of Allaah the perversions of the people of falsehood, the twisted explanations of the ignoramuses, and the plagiarism of those who have strayed, those who bear the flags of innovation and dispute over the Book of Allaah."

"And those who came after them say: "Our Lord! Forgive us and our brethren who have preceded us in Faith, and put not in our hearts any hatred against those who have believed. Our Lord! You are indeed full of kindness, Most Merciful."
(59:10)

And if we never meet again, we pray that Allah joins us together in Jannah and includes us amongst those who love each other only for His sake.

"And We shall remove from their breasts any sense of injury (that they may have), (So they will be like) brothers facing each other on thrones." (15:47)

Ali

on December 7, 2005 3:54 AM

Teardrops akhee... teardrops.

on December 7, 2005 2:21 PM
Mohammed Irfan Shariff said

Dont worry talal.... i got the kleenex for ya

with the aloe vera as well

on December 7, 2005 9:00 PM
jinnzaman said

I still get it . . whats GI 57??

on December 8, 2005 10:03 PM
Donald Duck said

Salamualaikum

I 'll miss Asher the most, because of his goodness, his rigtheousness (daef spelling)and because he is no racist. I heard ZK and Mohammed Al Amin Kowar gave him a farewell gift.

ZK apologizes for his fluctuating accent: sometimes South African, sometimes ghettoized ramblings (he picked this from GI 57) and sometimes I don't know what the heck that mumbling is. ZK is apologizing obviously to the brother section coz he definitely doesn't care what the sisters think about him. You know why, coz he hates desires just like ma manz Rami.

We still have an awesome group Alhamdulillah, but i m telling you Asher's one of the best thing that has happened to ISRU. You got mad props from me my graduating companion, your band of brothers love u alot for the sake of Allah Talah.

on December 10, 2005 11:53 PM
Donald Duck said

correction to the previous statement: "one of the best things"

on December 10, 2005 11:54 PM

GI-57 is a performance duo. The Commercial is all about a branding campaign wherein people define what "My ISRU" is. Presented in the video is GI-57's answer.

on December 11, 2005 5:52 PM
Gigi said

i forget what the "GI" means, but the 57 is symbolizing salah five times a day, seven days a week.

on December 11, 2005 7:14 PM
Donald Duck said

Salamualaikum

Think about "God Interaction" 5-7 sista in Islam.

on December 11, 2005 8:15 PM